Thursday, February 25, 2010

Jack in the Box

Today in my fiction writing class we had a really cool assignment! we got to go out of class to a location on or near campus picked randomly from a hat. I got ghetto jack in the box next to La Vic's.

Even though I wrote it really fast it turned out to be kind of funny and I liked it.

The newly remodeled Jack in the Box resembles an old bathroom. Its tiles are separated by strips of black and are the color of diluted coffee. The air near the kitchen is greasy and smells of fried food and disinfectants. A man in clothes that are too large fingers a shiny wrist watch and saunters up to a business man on his lunch break. "Excuse me, man, I just got kicked out of the house I'm tryin' to rack up some money so I can get some lunch. Think you can help me out, man?" The business man with the blazer and upturned nose takes a big bite and shakes his head and pretends to say something with his mouth full. In the other corner a quiet college student slowly chews on her fries while holding her book in her left hand. She is distracted by a group of boys yelling, "I'm gonna take sixteen, sixteen hot sauce that's how I do it." Beeps from the ovens sound like something is done, or too hot, or out of batteries. A cashier calls "next!", partially blocked behind a newly installed machine that no one uses to order their food.