Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Out of Focus

I've been really busy reading and writing for school :[
I don't think I can even count how many books I've read.

But anyway, last week I did a poetry project that was really fun... sort of. Kind of took a lot out of me actually. But we had to pick a poem we liked to model ours after. I chose Design by Robert Frost because I thought it asked such a big question that couldn't be answered. Kind of makes you think outside of your usual consciousness. So here are my poems based off of that idea!



Monarch Butterfly

I watched a speckled chrysalis hang by
A single blade of grass of deepest green
Divulge a pair of wings – the hue between
A golden red and creamy tangerine –
Belonging to a regal butterfly
That stretched her wings before she flew awry
Becoming ever more a graceful queen
So fit to rule a realm of summer sky.

So intricate, the wings of butterfly,
Ascending towards the heavens from this land
To float amid a sky she can’t deny,
Without the faculty of asking why
Her wings are so elaborately planned
But her kingdom too large to understand.


UNTITLED

The waves that wash this rocky cove do find
Their way into the vast
Array that ever complicates my mind.
Today’s a day like any of its kind,
The gray of clouds is stormy as inclined
And plays of rain, alas.

The waves again are calling for my glance
For they have gotten past
My head and put me in a surreal trance.
Astray my thoughts, they wander and they dance
To days long gone, and days to come advance
Lay future as in past.

The waves that form and crash before they go
Away give sounds aghast
Delaying ends that all too well they know.
The swaying of their cries to some bestow
A weight of calmness but to me their woe’s
A fray, I must contrast.

The waves they cry before they meet the shore
Of graves that will harass
Her slaves, her children once but nevermore.
Their days not days but minutes that implore
And pray that they may live a moment more
To play, to stay, to last.

To waves that ever come and go I cry,
“You waves as one surpass
The fates of all, I certainly imply.
The wait of Ocean outlasts those who try
To pray for their own lives for they all die
In vain, as they are cast.”

SORRRYYYYY that one was kind of long.. actually it's only 36 lines.

Here comes my super cool haiku! haha I just got desperate :[




Clockwork Universe (standard form)

The long, spindly hand ticks –
One, two, sixty, one –
The hollow cycle of knocks
Reverberates against
The walls of a night and day sky,
Marking the movement of the earth,
The world.
There is no answer –
The face of the clock is blank
And it won’t give anything away.
The gears have been wound for us,
Before us.
Its cogs move mechanically,
Its hands move mercilessly,
A machine master
Pulling our puppet strings
And we dance.
The clock strikes morning
And I get up
The clock strikes evening
And I sleep.
I can’t break the laws –
Like an apple, I am pulled
I feel it and it is
So heavy on my chest
My head,
I don’t want to think,
I can only move
And I can only dance.
But even the clock must obey its own rules.
When it ticks its last tock,
When its gears rust
And the cogs are still,
The earth does not stop
The sun shatters the sky
And I wake up
I can breathe.


And the last one, this one was hard to write. So many things were going through my mind and it was hard to make it sound "poetic." I'll probably fix it up one of these days.



Out of Focus

Caught between atoms
And the universe
We are contrived
The sun is
A nucleus surrounded by
A cloud of revolving electrons
We didn’t do this
I can’t even see it
Any of it
I look in
Out
My eyes can’t focus
Too far away
And much too close
Electrons fuse
I feel the same
Vast – insignificant
The world is spinning
But I am static
Tell me I’m alive

No comments: